HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER AT GRACE CHURCH?
We warmly invite you to consider membership at Grace Church. The steps are listed below. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any other questions about our process.
- Attend the Membership Class | Here are some answers to questions you might have about the class:
- What is the purpose of the class? | The Membership Class is designed to help you understand the basics of the Christian faith and some of the distinctives of Grace Presbyterian Church.
- How often is the class offered? | We try to hold the classes quarterly.
- How often does the class meet? | We meet weekly. There is usually a “Meet and Greet” session, followed by six classes taught by an elder or pastor.
- When is the class held? | We currently meet during the Sunday School time block at 10:15 AM.
- Is the class required? | Yes. We ask that all interested adults take the course, whether you are joining a church for the first time or transferring from another Presbyterian or Reformed church.
- Can I bring my children to the class? | Older students may wish to join their parents in the class. Because the class is geared toward adults, younger children may be more comfortable attending our yearly “Communicant Class” taught in 4 sessions by the Senior Pastor, usually in October. The class is meant for grades 6-8. If you prefer, your children may attend Children’s Sunday School for ages 2-18. Nursery care is also provided during the Membership Class time.
- What is the format like? | The class follows a moderately interactive format. Your questions are welcome. Please ask! We will try to answer basic questions in class. Complex questions or questions that fall outside the pale of our discussion may need to be deferred to a later time. The leader may also ask the class some questions, but there will be no pressure to speak.
- Do I need to bring anything to the class? | No. A course notebook with detailed notes and several appendices will be provided to you. We may look up verses, but we will have Bibles on hand if you do not have a Bible with you. And you are always welcome to grab a cup of coffee from the Fellowship Hall and bring it with you!
- Do I need to attend all the classes? | We ask that you attend at least four of the six class sessions. If you feel you will miss more than two classes, you will likely want to wait until the next time the class is offered.
- Fill out the Membership Application* | If, after taking the class, you decide that you would like to become a member, please fill out the Membership Application(s). We will need one for you and any family members joining with you. Paper and digital versions of the form are available. When your application(s) is complete, contact one of the pastors so that we can arrange a time for you to be interviewed by the elders. * In addition to the application you may need to request a transfer from your previous church. This is needed if you are coming from another Presbyterian or Reformed (NAPARC) congregation.
- Schedule an interview with the Session (Pastors and Elders) | The membership interview centers on the five membership questions that you are asked to publicly affirm when you join Grace. Your Membership Class notebook will have a “Membership Interview Preparation” section. This explains the membership vows more fully. If the session approves you to become a member you will go to the next step.
- Be publicly received during a worship service | We will work with you on a best date and service time that works for you or your family. You’ll come forward at the designated time during worship, take your membership vows and be prayed for by a member of the session.