Grace Presbyterian Church began life as a plant of Knox Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Silver Spring, Maryland. Under the supervision of the Knox session, a small group of members began meeting for worship in a private home in Vienna in January 1957. As their numbers grew from 1959-1964, the group met in local schools under the leadership of Knox associate pastor Robert Thoburn.
Finally in January 1964, seven years after the first group had begun meeting in Vienna, the church plant became a church. The current church property on Cedar Lane was purchased later the same year, and the original building was finished in 1968, with significant additions in 1976 and 2001.
The congregation has continued to grow through the years, but has maintained its focus on preaching, teaching, and fellowship. The church enjoys an active Sunday school program for children and adults, as well as Bible studies and fellowship groups. Grace has also become increasingly involved in mentoring seminary students and in training up new pastors in partnership with our denomination through our internship program.
Pastors of Grace OPC
|Carl Shank (associate)||1979-1982|
|Hailu Mekonnen (associate)||1993-2003|
|Daniel Clifford (associate)||2004-2007|
|Daniel Clifford||2007- present|
|Chad Van Dixhoorn (associate)||2008-2015|
|Steve Brown (associate)||2012- present|